About Me

Hello! I am a first grade teacher at Skillin Elementary School. For the past 20 years, I have been lucky enough to teach children from preschool through fourth grade. Sharing learning and growth in an engaging, fun way is an incredible way to spend my day! First grade is a magical time where children become amazing readers, writers, mathematicians, friends, great thinkers and so much more!

Sunday, January 29, 2017

January News

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying all that winter in Maine has to offer!  We have been fortunate to be able to get outside most days so far!  I have lots of important information to share with all of you.

First, congratulations to the students for making 100 good choices during the past two weeks!  We have been working really hard at becoming more independent, staying on task, being respectful, responsible, safe and kind members of our classroom.  For a few months, the students were earning individual points on our Class Do Jo board. However, we began to show signs of being ready to move to a class reward system.  Yahoo!  So, we began coloring in numbers on a 100 chart every time we were spotted making a good choice.  It took very little time before that chart was full!  The children voted on their preferred reward.  We organized and represented the data, and it was determined that the majority of students preferred to have a Pajama and Stuffie Day!  We will be celebrating this tomorrow...Monday, January 30th.  Students can wear their pajamas and bring a stuffed animal to read to during Read to Self time.  PLEASE keep the stuffed animal small enough to fit inside your child's backpack!  Thank you!  I'm so proud of how hard the students have been working on these important lifelong skills.


It was wonderful to see so many of you at Family Fun Night last Thursday.  I hope the children are all enjoying their bags of learning tools.  Actively engaging with your child in learning games and reading will provide them with many benefits.  Thank you for being involved!


We will be celebrating Valentine's Day on Tuesday, February 14th by exchanging valentines with our classmates.  Students are encouraged to bring in valentines for all students in the class.  We have 18 students in our class.  Rather than writing names on the valentines, simply send in 18 valentines signed by your child.  Valentines can be sent in anytime after Thursday, February 9th.  Let me know if you have any questions!


We have been very busy learning lots in first grade!  Here is an update on our recent learning targets!

Literacy

  • I can decode words with final e and long vowels.
  • I can use reading strategies to solve unknown words.
  • I can decode regularly spelled one-syllable words containing digraphs and blends.
  • I can understand that a noun is a person, place, thing or idea.
  • I can understand the basic structure of a sentence.
  • I can write a story with a beginning, middle and end.
  • I can gather information from pre-selected sources to answer a question.
Math
  • I can count from 1 to 100.
  • I can understand and use patterns in numbers from 1 to 100.
  • I can understand the hundreds chart and how it works.
  • I can show a number in many different ways.
  • I can organize, represent and understand data.

No wonder we all go home so excited about learning! As always, thank you for sharing ALL of your children with me! I am so fortunate to have each and everyone of them a part of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment